Our article was featured recently in the Mining & Technology Australia magazine (Issue 5/2012). The article focused on how to implement a workplace drug and alcohol policy properly and easily, and it looked at the hazards, steps, and tools that should be taken into account in a D&A policy.
Some key messages from the article:
Tailor the drug and alcohol policy to your specific business and requirements
- Focus on safety rather than on control and punishment
- Identify the potential hazards associated with the use of alcohol and drugs in the workplace, the risks associated to them, and the strategies needed to control those risks
- Clearly communicate the policy’s aims and procedures to employees
- Clearly define the policy’s blood alcohol limit, drug tolerance, procedures and consequences
- Take the proper steps to overcome any anxiety among employees
- Include guidelines on hangovers in the D&A policy
- Buy a breathalyzer or drug testing kit that is appropriate for the volume of testing that is needed
- OHS staff should be properly trained in using the breathalyzer and drug testing kits
- The breathalyzer should be Australian Standard AS3547 Certified to ensure its reliability and accuracy, for example the AlcoSense Prodigy Breathalyzer and the AlcoSense SoberPoint II Wall-Mounted Breathalyzer
- Opt for a drug and alcohol testing management platform such as DT Manager. This allows companies to have full control of their testing procedures, and keeps a succinct record of past tests, drug field tests, and many more. You can check out DT Manager here.